2016 workshop lineup
January 1 - December 31
The American Copy Editors Society now is offering a Digital Boot Camp in addition to its Editing Boot Camp.
The inaugural Digital Boot Camp will be 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 30 at the Hilton Portland Executive Tower in Portland, Oregon. Joining ACES President Teresa Schmedding, also deputy managing editor of digital operations at the Daily Herald Media Group, in teaching the workshop are Andy Bechtel, academic director/certificate in technology and communication at University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Media and Journalism; and ACES board member Sue Burzynski Bullard, researcher, author and professor at University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications.
The day-long workshop will cover:
- • Writing and Editing Text in the Digital Space
- • Digital headlines and SEO
- • Engaging audiences through social media, curation platforms and eblasts
- • Digital Analytics and innovation
The new Digital Boot Camp includes hands-on exercises, so participants are required to bring a laptop or tablet.
The cost is $250. You can register here.
The full Digital Boot Camps lineup is:
- • Portland, Oregon, Hilton Portland Executive Tower, March 30. Register here.
- • Chicago, Palmer House Hilton, May 26. Register here. And book Palmer House hotel room.
- • New Orleans, Sheraton New Orleans, on Sept. 16. Register here.
- • St. Petersburg, Florida, Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront, on Oct. 13. Register here.
- • Charleston, S.C.: Oct. 27. Register here.
ACES will continue to offer its top-notch Editing Boot Camps.
The 2016 Editing Boot Camp lineup is:
- • Boston, The NonProfit Center, 89 South St.: April 29. Register here.
- • Salt Lake City, the University of Utah, 1637 Campus Center Dr.: May 20. Register here.
- • Norman, Oklahoma, the University of Oklahoma: July 15. Register here.
- • Miami: Sept. 12. Register here.
- • Detroit, Manoogian Hall at Wayne State University: Oct. 21. Register here.
- • Washington, George Washington University, Nov. 5 (more to come)
The Editing Boot Camp covers the following topics:
- • Why editing is important (and how to convince your bosses)
- • Grammar and punctuation basics
- • Commonly confused and misused words
- • Elements of proofreading
- • Clarity: smoothing out dense or garbled prose, streamlining copy
- • Accuracy: checking facts and sources, ensuring charts/graphics are correct, identifying and filling in missing information
- • Headlines: writing clear, informative display type in print and online (including SEO)
- • Style: why you need a style guide
The editing boot camps are sponsored in part by:
A UC San Diego extension copyediting course will be raffled off at each boot camp (not at the digital boot camps).
The cost of the editing boot camp is $100 for members $175 for non-members.
Stay tuned for more info here or at copydesk.org.