2016 workshop lineup
January 1 - December 31
The American Copy Editors Society now is offering a Digital Boot Camp in addition to its Editing Boot Camp.
The inaugural Digital Boot Camp was March 30 at the Hilton Portland Executive Tower in Portland, Oregon. Joining ACES President Teresa Schmedding in teaching the workshop were Andy Bechtel, academic director/certificate in technology and communication at University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Media and Journalism; and ACES board member Sue Burzynski Bullard, researcher, author and professor at University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications.
The day-long workshop continues with other sessions this year. With a rotating lineup of presenters, the boot camp will cover:
- • Writing and Editing Text in the Digital Space
- • Digital headlines and SEO
- • Engaging audiences through social media, curation platforms and eblasts
- • Digital Analytics and innovation
The new Digital Boot Camp includes hands-on exercises, so participants are required to bring a laptop or tablet.
The cost is $250. You can register here.
The full Digital Boot Camps lineup for 2016 is:
- • Portland, Oregon, Hilton Portland Executive Tower, March 30. Done.
- • Chicago, Palmer House Hilton, May 26. Done.
- • New Orleans, Sheraton New Orleans, on Sept. 16. Register here.
- • St. Petersburg, Florida, Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront, on Oct. 13. Register here.
- • Charleston, S.C., Holiday Inn Charleston Historic Downtown, 425 Meeting St.: Oct. 27. Register here.
ACES will continue to offer its top-notch Editing Boot Camps.
The 2016 Editing Boot Camp lineup is:
- • Boston, The NonProfit Center, 89 South St.: April 29. Done.
- • Salt Lake City, the University of Utah: May 20. Done.
- • Norman, Oklahoma, the University of Oklahoma: July 15. Done.
- • Miami, Biscayne Bay campus of Florida International University in North Miami: Sept. 12. Register here.
- • Detroit, Manoogian Hall at Wayne State University: Oct. 21. Register here.
- • Washington, George Washington University, Funger Hall auditorium, Room 103: Nov. 5. Register here.
The Editing Boot Camp covers the following topics:
- • Why editing is important (and how to convince your bosses)
- • Grammar and punctuation basics
- • Commonly confused and misused words
- • Elements of proofreading
- • Clarity: smoothing out dense or garbled prose, streamlining copy
- • Accuracy: checking facts and sources, ensuring charts/graphics are correct, identifying and filling in missing information
- • Headlines: writing clear, informative display type in print and online (including SEO)
- • Style: why you need a style guide
The editing boot camps are sponsored in part by:
A UC San Diego extension copyediting course will be raffled off at each boot camp (not at the digital boot camps).
The cost of the editing boot camp is $100 for members $175 for non-members.
Stay tuned for more info here or at copydesk.org.